You fish for the simple pleasure of being out on the ice, but it's also fun to eat what you catch. This simple recipe is the perfect way to prepare the fresh walleye you've pulled out of the ice: light, flaky, and delicious. Just the thing to showcase that fresh-from-the-lake flavor.
FLAKY FRIED WALLEYE
- fresh-caught walleye, prepped into fillets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups crushed saltine crackers
- vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Prepare your fresh-caught walleye. The recipe calls for at least four fillets, so keep that in mind if you've got more or less. Double check that you've removed all skin and bones before you move on to the next step.
- Place the beaten eggs in a bowl and set aside. Combine the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in another bowl. Pour crushed crackers into a third bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat (about 375 degrees F).
- Dip the fillets into the flour mixture, then the eggs, and finally the cracker crumbs. Set the coated fillets on a separate plate. Once the oil is heated, carefully place two fillets into the oil. Using tongs, cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer cooked fillets to another plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and your favorite sides. Enjoy!
Catch All the Walleye You Can Eat in a Glacier Ice House
Glacier Ice Houses are available at many dealerships across the country, with locations that include Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and New York. Find your nearest Glacier Ice House dealer and tour one of our models today. Enjoy the comfort, convenience, and coziness of a home on the ice.